Baked Parmesan Zucchini
- 4 zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a cooling rack with nonstick spray and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan, thyme, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan mixture. Place into oven and bake until tender, about 15 minutes. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Spicy Cucumber Pickles
- 6 pickling cucumbers , or 2 regular-sized cucumbers
- 2 banana shallots
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 star anise
- 75 g caster sugar
- 150 ml vinegar
- Cut the pickling cucumbers in half lengthways, and slice regular ones through the middle, then into fingers. Peel and finely slice the shallots.
- Put the cucumbers and shallots in a colander. Sprinkle over 2 teaspoons of sea salt. After 45 minutes, rinse well.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Fit the cucumbers snugly into a Kilner jar, then pour over the liquid. Seal and leave for at least 24 hours.
Eggplant, Zucchini, and Tomato Tian
- 1 pound Japanese eggplant, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound large beefsteak tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 ounces French bread baguette
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Arrange eggplant and zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat vegetables with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Arrange half of eggplant in a single layer in an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with half of zucchini and half of tomato. Drizzle 2 1/4 teaspoons oil evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle vegetables evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Place bread in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs measure 2 cups. Add cheese and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) to processor; process until combined. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups breadcrumb mixture evenly over tomato. Repeat layers with remaining eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, oil, salt, pepper, and breadcrumb mixture. Pour broth over top. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender and topping is browned